Renée S. Kohanski, M.D. is a board-certified psychiatrist with over 30 years of clinical experience. She has extensive expertise in psychopharmacology and psychotherapy and its interface with medicine.
As a medical doctor, she understands each patient and their unique medical and psychological situation from a holistic perspective. This means incorporating all aspects of a patient’s life and medical history into a carefully-considered diagnosis. The end result is a highly-tailored, individualized treatment.
Dr. Kohanski takes the time to “get it right.”
A Distinguished History
In addition to her passion for private practice psychiatry, Dr. Kohanski has worked as an Attending Physician at Georgia Regional Hospital and Whiting Forensic Hospital in Connecticut. She has run treatment clinics for prisons and for the DOJ Juvenile Center in South Carolina.
Dr. Kohanski also has experience in specialized programs for patients suffering through substance abuse disorders coupled with emotional issues.
Over the course of her career, Dr. Kohanski has been an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, the Medical College of Georgia, and the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. She’s also a regular “go-to” person for TALKERS magazine and other national media programming.
Areas of Expertise
- Depression and anxiety disorders
- Personality and mood disorders
- Forensic Psychiatry and IMEs
- And much more
Education and Training
- New York Medical College M.D. 1990
Cor Et Manus Award of Distinction
- Georgetown University Hospital Internship & Residency 1994
Chief Resident Georgetown University Hospital
- USC School of Medicine Forensic Psychiatry Fellow 1995
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Added Certification Forensic Psychiatry 1995-2015
- Board Examiner for American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
- Male with new-onset suicidal ideation tied to SARS-CoV-2: Renée S. Kohanski, MD, Craig M. Wax, DO — MDEdge Psychiatry – 2022 Feb 4
- We As Physicians Must Pull Together As A Knowledge Community: Renée S. Kohanski, MD, Robert S. Emmons, MD — Medscape Psychiatry – 2021 Nov 30
- Let’s Not Criticize Off-Label Prescribing: Robert S. Emmons, MD, Renée S. Kohanski, MD — Medscape Psychiatry – 2021 Mar 26
- Alexithymia, Affect Recognition, and Five Factors of Personality in Substance Abusers: Lee S. Mann, Thomas N. Wise, Anton C. Trinidad, Renee S. Kohanski, MD — Perceptual and Motor Skills – 1995 Aug 1
RK Psychiatry Associates, LLC was founded by Dr. Kohanski in 2003. Learn more about Dr. Kohanski’s unique approach to your wellness.